BBQ Skillet Roasted Clams
This is my perfect meal. Grilling lemons helps loosen up and release their juices, and the flavor is irresistible. Crusty French bread for dipping, makes for the ultimate evening. Toast with the remaining Chardonnay.
BBQ SKILLET ROASTED CLAMS
- 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced or minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds fresh Manila (or other small) clams, scrubbed clean
- 1 cup of your favorite Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 lemons
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat your Twin Eagles Grill to medium-high heat.
- Rinse the lemons. Pat them dry and roll them on a hard surface, to release the juices. Cut the lemons in half crosswise. Discard any visible seeds.
- Place the lemons cut-side-down on a hot grill. Grill until the lemons are heated through and charred on the cut side, about 3 minutes. Remove, juice, and set aside.
- Bring your Twin Eagles Grill to high heat. Heat the olive oil with the garlic in a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron. Slowly toast the garlic slices, stirring often until the garlic is just golden.
- Add the red pepper flakes to the oil and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add the clams and stir to coat.
- Add the white wine to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid or carefully with aluminum foil.
- Cook the clams for 5 minutes, shaking the pan often, or until all the clams open.
- Remove the lid and season with salt and pepper. Add the butter and grilled lemon juice, swirling the pan to incorporate.
- Serve the grilled clams with crusty bread, for dipping.